“To dare every day to be irreverent and bold. To dare to preserve the randomness of mind which in children produces strange and wonderful new thoughts and forms. To continually scramble the familiar and bring the old into new juxtaposition.” ---Gordon Webber

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

CAUTION: Money and Fame May Cause Lack of Consideration and/or Loss of Humbleness

So, I actually took a night off from being me (mother, student, worker, etc.) to go to St. John's annual Spring Fling concert on the Queens campus. There were to be 3 performers: Mr. Vegas, Notch, and Keyshia Cole. I was there for the main attraction because I love Keyshia Cole as a performer. Of course, the concert did not start on time but I was not upset about it because it was my first concert ever and I was somewhat filled with a sense of euphoria. Though I am not very big on reggae and reggaeton most of the time, I even found myself singing along to all of those songs. I was so excited about seeing Keyshia Cole that I even fought myself through the sea of concert-goers to the third or fourth row in front of the stage. At that point, I didn't mind that I was standing, sweaty, and that the people next to me smelled...but all of that changed 2 hours later when Ms. Cole was still nowhere to be found.


It was almost 12:00 AM and we were still listening to music the DJ was playing because she hadn't shown up or, if she did, hadn't yet begun performing. Though this may sound selfish...that is not how I pictured spending my night off from working, writing, cooking, cleaning, and taking care of children. I was upset and by the time Keyshia did take the stage after 12 I was nowhere near as excited as I was at the start and I would have gone to take a seat had I still had the energy to fight my way back through the crowd. The performance was admittedly a good, high-energy performance. However, I was then and am still bothered by the fact that she was so late and came on stage with no apologies. I understand that, as a famous artist, she may have been very busy and things may have come up, but she knew she made an agreement to be there at a certain time and she wasn't but acted as if it didn't matter.

I will not sit here berating Keyshia Cole because I loved her songs before then and I still do. But I just hope that all of these artists out here remember that the little people made them who they are...everyone has to start at the bottom and work themselves up to the top and I, as well as others who support artists through song buying amongst other things, am giving them the extra push that they need in their climb to the top.

No comments: