“To dare every day to be irreverent and bold. To dare to preserve the randomness of mind which in children produces strange and wonderful new thoughts and forms. To continually scramble the familiar and bring the old into new juxtaposition.” ---Gordon Webber

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Everyday Inspiration


Everyone has difficult days in their lives. For some people, they occur more often but they are something that everyone has in common. Being a single mother trying to balance work, school, relationships, and a precocious 2 year old takes a lot out of me and there are days where I just don't feel like getting out of bed. I talked to my favorite aunt about it and she mailed me a poem that I decided to hang up on my wall for those days when I needed a little bit of help convincing myself to get out of bed. I think that everyone can relate to it in some kind of way and, in hopes that it may be able to help someone else, I am going to post the poem here. Again, these are not my words but I think that they are words of wisdom that should be passed on. Though at first read, it appears to be about moving past failed relationships, I believe that it can be applied to other aspects of life or at the very least help a person find that inner strength that everyone possesses whether they know it or not. This poem can help a person move past almost any hardship, whether it be a failed relationship or a lost job.


Comes the Dawn

After awhile you learn the subtle differences
Between holding a hand, and chaining a soul
And you learn that love doesn't mean security
And you begin to understand that kisses aren't contracts
And presents aren't promises
And you begin to accept your defeats
With your head held high and your eyes open
With the grace of a woman, not the grief of a child
You learn to build your roads
On today because tomorrow's ground
Is too uncertain for plans, and futures have
A way of falling down in mid flight
After awhile you learn that even sunshine
Burns if you get too much,
So you plant your own garden, and decorate
Your own soul, instead of waiting
For someone to bring flowers
And you learn that you really can endure,
That you really are strong
And you really have worth
And you learn, and learn...And you learn
With every goodbye you learn
"You don't have to be afraid of change
You don't have to worry about what's been taken away
Just look to see what's been added."

So spread your wings and learn to soar to a brighter horizon...even if its on your own.

No comments: