“To dare every day to be irreverent and bold. To dare to preserve the randomness of mind which in children produces strange and wonderful new thoughts and forms. To continually scramble the familiar and bring the old into new juxtaposition.” ---Gordon Webber

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Hazing Victim's Nightmare


This was the title given to an article in the Staten Island Advance about the suspension of the Sigma Chi Upsilon fraternity from St. John's University. I printed the article because i was going to use it as the topic of a Public Speaking speech but never did. I came across it as I was cleaning out my desk and began to think back to all of the controversy that surrounded the incident.

Everyone was made to cease with their pledging activities pending the investigation and many were scared away from the pledging process completely after hearing the story. Rumors were spread around that the President and Vice President of the fraternity would face criminal charges. The school asked everyone who was already Greek and those interested in joining a sorority or fraternity to attend speeches related to hazing. I was curious as to exactly what it was that set everything into motion so I went and did my own research.

As stated in the article:

"Ms. Harker alleges her son was made to walk backwards down stair on his knees, do push-ups--sometimes with someone on back--sit-ups and hold heavy objects for extended periods. He was slapped and held down by the neck when he foundered and also jabbed in the chest with a broom handle and thrown into a work bench, she alleges."

I have a good friend that is a member of the Sigma Chi Upsilon fraternity and, as much as I value his friendship, I cannot condone what he and his brothers took part in or allowed to happen. Things like this give a bad name to Greeks in general and validates the stereotypes that people outside of the Greek community give to us. I wear my letters proudly and am passionate about my sorority despite the fact that I was never hazed. Though I understand the concept of "earning your letters," I do not think that a person should have to earn them through physical violence. I hope that everyone learned something from this incident and that it did not go unnoticed.

No comments: