“To dare every day to be irreverent and bold. To dare to preserve the randomness of mind which in children produces strange and wonderful new thoughts and forms. To continually scramble the familiar and bring the old into new juxtaposition.” ---Gordon Webber

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

To Shamira


I've made a lot of mistakes but you aren't one
I was at my breaking point but then here you come
Bringing smiles to my face when I really want to frown
And lifting my spirits when everyone else is trying to bring me down
Who knew there could be so much power in something so fragile?
But it can't be denied, you're a blessing my child
When your little hand holds mine and you look into my eyes
I forget my flaws and focus on what I did right
Creating a beautiful baby, though some would say too soon
But you're here now my precious flower, I'm going to give you the love you need to bloom
Never thought I deserved something so beautiful
But God showed He still loved me by giving me you
You saved my life in so many ways
Everything was dark but now I'm seeing brighter days
For eight divine months, I carried you close to my heart
And though we are no longer one, we will never be apart
You are my rainbow in the sky, the breath that gives me life
The brightest star can no longer be found in the sky at night
I've captured it, you belong to me
Right here by my side for all to see
Times won't always be easy, they may get so hard that we want to quit
Challenges may be thrown our way, but together we can face it
My love will never fade, it goes on for eternity
And we'll create our own paradise, you and me

As parents, we have to be the voice of reason all of the time and the bad guy most of the time. We try to consider our children's feelings but we have to ultimately do what we think is best for them and, as a result, we may say things we don't mean and cause our children to doubt that we love them and have their best interests at heart. I've realized that my actions don’t always prove to my daughter just how much I love her. I decided to write a few words, in the form of a poem, for her to read when she gets older. This way, when we have fights, she won’t ever think that I don’t love her. Instead, she’ll know that I always did.

No comments: